The News Page lists updates made by creator Leord and (perhaps in the future, but not now) contributors.
- 1 Missing News
- 2 Slow First Quarter
- 3 Gnah!
- 4 Progress with lots of things
- 5 Roleplaying & House Rules
- 6 100 Articles
- 7 Bits and Pieces
- 8 Holidays
- 9 Content Continues
- 10 Loads of content
- 11 Factions and religion
- 12 Content and campaigns
- 13 More Spam; now sorted
- 14 Dwarves!
- 15 Spam prevention and Flora
- 16 Domain/hosting move
- 17 Content rush
- 18 A start
I know I have written a news item a week or two ago but I can't find it. I will look around further but there has been decent progress since February. Especially of note are non-content news of the first session with Hökaland England campaign, having a test session with Heather and Jonathan that now has grown into them getting their own characters and joining (the very large) party.
I'll get back to the news regarding content updates.
Slow First Quarter
In the past couple of months I have primarily suffered from Fallout 4, which has eaten most of my free time. It's great fun but doesn't produce much in terms of Hökaland material. Behind the scenes I have primarily been working on the Sickle, its Spire and Phrontistery, with design and architecture. I have spent a lot of time researching architecture with things such as prevalence of round towers, machiloations and other things. Some pictures of drawings are already added to the Sickle article, but most of it is solely in my notepads.
The main reason for this focus is the New campaign with the English crew where the Sickle will play a major role. A lot of the background and story hooks demand there is a solid foundation.
Other changes include:
- Travel - Added more detailed information that is easily accessible for overland movement, something that came up in the IP-Only Campaign.
- Church of Rahn - Some minor additions, mainly related to campaigns.
- Magic items - Mainlyrelated to the Sickle: Brass Coin & Thundercatcher.
- Rogue - Minor updates to the house rule version of the Unchained Rogue.
I'm almost done with Halflife now, it's just a matter of deciding how much more I want to play. A lot is just about lugging loot around. I'm hoping inspiration will strike and make me more active on the wiki, but I'm not making promises of actually produceing things. Yet. :)
The October Curse
During October I was alone on my shift at work, which can be great. Unfortunately it was the Month of Continous Problems, and in knackered me to buggery. So from being ahead of the curve, starting on the new English campaign, making house rules and updating the lore, I basically got nothing done all October (not to mention, no RP sessions) and was totally out of whack.
Now, I am starting to catch up, but I am still lagging with the English campaign (which has not really been touched since beginning of October).
- I did manage to get some stuff done, and one is more information about names in general and Northern tribe names in particular.
- A lot of gathering of information to try to get a feeling for the value of gold.
- Gwennport has been seriously updated, mainly because of new information from the English campaign. This also includes Peacebonding and a start about Crime, events in Hökaland and Attitudes of regular people.
- I've started listing known Mercenary bands.
- Also inspired by the English campaign is a number of updates of the Sickle Phrontistery. More on how it is to study.
- For the Lofty Peaks I found a lovely illustrating pic in a YouTube video (unexpectedly) that I added.
- Capitoleum has seen some updates. Some are from older notes and others include writing the text to be more descriptive rather than notes.
- Church of Rahn has well due updates. In this case it just got a few small.
- Based mainly on the IPO campaign, a number of things have been updated.
- New Materials have been added:
- City updates including:
- Items that I have made illustrations for:
- Session log has been moved from the Campaign page to separate page and I link in the latest logs using transclusion.
- Minor updates to Chamber of Shadows.
- Spell updates based on opinions or experience:
- Food has been added as a stub, with information about how much people have to carry when killing a boar and cooking the meat!
- Travel has been made useful with shorthand information (and a few homebrew tweaks) to make it easier to include travel while playing.
Progress with lots of things
In the past few weeks I have tried updating the magic (D20 SRD) stuff a bit with the spells relating to sparks in particular. This is a first step to finally re-include the meta-magic rules I created for the DnD 3.5 house rules. The idea to make magic more visible to those initiated and to enable casters to use magic more stealthily. Most of this will come under Spell Trickery (when I have the time). Magic residue is also part of the start of this work as well as a couple of metamagic feats.
I have done further work on the knowledge skill, including adding cryptography rules. This will probably not be overly used, but the Shadows use it, and some character associated with the Shadows will as well.
The characters for the New campaign are shaping up nicely as well. Getting excited! :)
Some more notable updates:
- Elf - A little bit about social structure with things such as lineage and nobility
- Campaigns - Streamlined how house rules are shown with ALL campaigns.
- House rule - Did the campaigns by updating this article and transcluding a part.
- IPO - Specifically tidied up and shortened the Timeline.
- Perspective - A new article helping out showing size of the Hökaland continent compared to Europe or area in perspective compared to Stockholm.
- Materials - Two new updates:
- Wyrd - Minor added.
- Dragon - Started an article with some basics.
- Pissing Unicorn - Started and also drawn a floor plan using accurate scale (1:1000). Not uploaded that yet though.
Roleplaying & House Rules
In the past few weeks I have added new content, such as the Northern tribes, essentially barbarians, and updated the Coin & Blood campaign page but then having to close down the campaign (because, honestly, it was done in 2013, nobody remembers much from it and never had much of an opportunity to bond with their characters).
On the flip side, I've opened up a New campaign with the English crew, which I am very excited about. A lot of background work has gone in to it that (for obvious reasons) are not on the wiki.
Then for the actual rules, I decided to add Hero Points to the game from lvl 3 upwards as I don't want players to accidentally just die, unless they act stupidly, but at the same time I don't want to fudge the dice either.
As I was looking over changing Julle's character to another class, I realised that some classes do deserve some love even in Pathfinder, and thus I started a homebrew Class page with some modifications. So far only the Rogue.
The biggest change has been an overhaul of house rule articles. All of the decent ones are up to scratch and I have specifically marked those that need to be put to the same level. at the moment I'm not using any rules that are not properly updated. Easiest way to see them all is with the brand spanking new Roleplaying Nav Box. Though the neav box itself will need some rearranging, at least all house rules links are there. There will be a link or two added shortly, but nothing urgent.
Weirdly, as I just updated pages, even removed some, the total article count jumped up to 114! :)
I just noticed that the addition of the Ratel race is the 100th article in the wiki! :D
Bits and Pieces
The IPO campaign has finished its eight session, finding themselves in Skull Castle across the border in Vasj territory, killing cloaked figures with nasty tricks and receiving some punishment themselves in turn. I have primarily made updates in these five articles:
- Harbour Master's Office - Another important faction
- Scima - Developing the article from old notes
- Attitudes - How people in the world looks at particular issues
- Worldcraft - My own views of making a world
- Language - Slightly part of Worldcraft, but more to do with language history and current languages
July has been good for adding things. I have started on the Wyrd full map, expanded its data, really fleshed out the magic items used by the Sickle and finished Daniel Engh's character as well as Petteri's (almost). What I forgot to write for last news item is the categorisation was changed from "world" to "lore" and I added navigations (finally) for Factions and since then I added a World navigation as well. Since the last news item I also added the navigation to lots of pages I had forgotten to do.
The Coins finally got its own article, and I even made a diagram on how it is built! It has long been a "wanted" page in the wiki but I researched ancient roads, including roman roads, and combined it with my visions of the road system.
The house rules were expanded with new Feats, especially for character coming from nobility and having gone through Sickle training. I will add an additional feat for the Wyny Academy of Warfare at some point as well (at least I started the article). Also environmental effects such as thirst and hunger were added. It makes the rules slightly harsher than the regular Pathfinder rules.
Gentry had some minor edits to it (such as Viscount added) as it turns out I had misunderstood nobility in medieval Europe a little. Viscounts were added to Artipellin and all Baronets were promoted to Barons.
As for the campaigns, we've had another session and introduced Daniel Engh's character to the mix.
Now I will be on holiday in England for a couple of weeks. Unsure if I get to do anything Hokaland-related there. It's not a priority at least.
In the past few months a lot of content has been added, which includes copying notes and writing new content (such as the Sickle and expanding Artipellin. I will move the News section to a separate page as well.
We also added Daniel Engh to the IPO campaign. Let's hope he is as good a roleplayer as he is a converser.
Loads of content
A slight update in that I have made a load of minor updates. Noting Healing for a combined article on house rules and Generator for worldmaking. Also very large updates on Capitoleum, the Sabenius Order and much else.
Factions and religion
So, for the IPO campaign, I have also made numerous minor updates to the wiki to make it more readable from my old notes as well as written new material. Especially on:
The team is all but done. One character that needs some polish and one that needs most work done. Next Sunday is the first session.
Content and campaigns
Some friends at work have shown interest in playing, and we have begun building characters and I have begun planning a campaign. Exciting. As such I have also made some more updates to the wiki. :)
More Spam; now sorted
I haven't had the energy to work on this wiki since I got my job, just after the last post, and progress will continue to be slow. However, I did find and plugged the last spam issue as I had forgotten to remove anonymous editing. That's no longer possible.
I may make a separate wiki that only I can log in to and have stuff that I don't want to be public be there, but that will also have to wait until I magically have the energy to finish that book...
Anyways. Always a pleasure to log in here. See you!
I have started working on the finer details of the dwarven homelands, which are really unknown to most non-dwarves. The massive Gabilgathol "gem" populated by dwarves. To do so I also needed to specify pitch quartz, the material of which it is made.
Spam prevention and Flora
The wiki had its first spammers a few days ago so yesterday I changed the wiki so you can't add pages as anonymous and you can't create accounts. However, if you (who are reading this) would like to help out for whatever reason, contact me and I'll just make an account for you.
Also made a massive update on flora.
Not noticeable in the wiki (fortunately), but took a great deal of time was to move hokaland.com from being my main domain for me (I'm using GunnarPetzall.com as the main domain now) which meant making a new wiki installation and fiddle with the database backup. After much ado, it's at least working fine again in the same location on the web (and a different location on the server) and any links work fine as far as I know...
Leord (talk) 11:34, 12 September 2014 (UTC)